The Nile has been known to carry bilharzia/schistosomiasis, and cases from the river have been recorded.
Bilharzia is most prevalent in still and stagnant water. We spend most of our time in the fast moving rapids or on sections of river that see a large amount of daily fluctuation and are therefore largely free of the parasite. To minimise the risks, we recommend not spending time wading on the river banks and not swimming in the stagnant waters of Lake Victoria.
Treatment is easily available over the counter here (in Jinja), and is a single course of tablets, though you must wait three months (the incubation period) before treating. If you are concerned about Bilharzia, we advise that you do a check-up three months after you trip with your doctor who should be able to test for it.
For more information on bilharzia/schistosomiasis please look at the following resource:
See all questions
- Which type of kayaking is best for me?
- What do I need to bring with me?
- What should I wear?
- Will I get stuck in my kayak?
- Do I need to book in advance?
- I have a dietary requirement can you cater for me?
- Can I bring a camera?
- Are there any crocodiles or hippos?
- Can I wear my glasses while kayaking?
- Do you sell nose-clips?
- I want to buy a kayak, can you help me?
- Am I expected to tip my guide?
- Can I come work for Kayak the Nile?
- How safe is Uganda?
- Can I get a Ugandan tourist visa on the border?
- How much is a Ugandan tourist visa?
- Power, electricity, and charging?
- What plug does Uganda use?
- Internet in Uganda
- Do I need a Yellow fever card?
- Can I drink the tap water?
- What language is spoken in Uganda?
- Is coronavirus in Uganda?
- Will I get malaria?
- Do I need a yellow fever vaccination?
- What vaccinations do I need for Uganda?
- Will I get bilharzia/schistosomiasis?
- What is the status of Ebola in Uganda?
- Are there ATMs in Jinja?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Do you accept credit card?
- What date us dollar can I use in Uganda?
- Where can I get Ugandan shillings?
- How does the free Kampala – Jinja bus work?
- Can I get to you via public transport?
- How do I get from Entebbe airport to the river?
Can’t find what your looking for? Ask us a quick question
or visit our contact us page if you are ready to book.