Question: How does the free Kampala to Jinja bus work?
Answer: Kayak the Nile’s clients have free access to the Nile River Explorers Kampala – Jinja shuttle bus*.
When booking the shuttle, please tell us the departure point in Kampala that you would like to use, and if possible, please provide a contact phone number.
Kampala departure times and locations:
- Red Chilli Hideaway: 6:30am
- Kampala Backpackers: 6:30am
- Nakumatt Oasis Mall (by the elephant): 7:00am
- Fat Cat Backpackers: 7:15am
The rafting shuttle departs from Jinja at 3:30pm to collect the rafters at the take out before heading to Kampala and, depending on the size of trip, arrives back in Kampala at around 6:30pm.
For our half day options and shorter tours it is possible to return on the shuttle on the same day.
This departure time is too soon for our full day of white water kayaking, as we usually finish between 4pm and 5pm. We suggest either staying over at Bujagali and catching the shuttle back the next day, or we can arrange for you to catch public transport back that evening after kayaking; alternatively, we can book a private hire for you instead.
- Matatu – 5000-8000UGX
- Coaster Bus – 8000-10,000UGX
- Private hire – 130,000 UGX (~$35)
Tandem Kayakers: If you want to go back to Kampala after your trip please make sure that any belonging you want to be on the bus are left in the ‘To Kampala’ section of the Explorers Backpackers before you leave for your trip.
*subject to availability. The shuttle only runs on days when Nile River Explorers is running a rafting trip; this is most days, all year around!
See all questions
- Which type of kayaking is best for me?
- What do I need to bring with me?
- What should I wear?
- Will I get stuck in my kayak?
- Do I need to book in advance?
- I have a dietary requirement can you cater for me?
- Can I bring a camera?
- Are there any crocodiles or hippos?
- Can I wear my glasses while kayaking?
- Do you sell nose-clips?
- I want to buy a kayak, can you help me?
- Am I expected to tip my guide?
- Can I come work for Kayak the Nile?
- How safe is Uganda?
- Can I get a Ugandan tourist visa on the border?
- How much is a Ugandan tourist visa?
- Power, electricity, and charging?
- What plug does Uganda use?
- Internet in Uganda
- Do I need a Yellow fever card?
- Can I drink the tap water?
- What language is spoken in Uganda?
- Will I get malaria?
- Do I need a yellow fever vaccination?
- What vaccinations do I need for Uganda?
- Will I get bilharzia/schistosomiasis?
- What is the status of Ebola in Uganda?
- Are there ATMs in Jinja?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Do you accept credit card?
- What date us dollar can I use in Uganda?
- Where can I get Ugandan shillings?
- How does the free Kampala – Jinja bus work?
- Can I get to you via public transport?
- How do I get from Entebbe airport to the river?
Can’t find what your looking for? Ask us a quick question
or visit our contact us page if you are ready to book.