Learn to kayak on the world’s greatest river.
Warm water, sunshine, tropical islands, and the perfect introductory rapids. Our introduction day is sure to give you a memorable experience, off the tourist trail.
The day is designed to teach you the skills that you need, even if you have never been in a kayak before, to go with one of our guides to the whitewater – a secluded part of Uganda unseen by most tourists.
This is our most popular option – another tick on the worldwide bucket list.
Full day Introduction to whitewater
- See Uganda from the river that defines it
- Do more with your time than ‘have an experience’, learn a skill that you can take worldwide
- White water kayak on the world’s greatest river
A day of Two Halves
Your day with us consists of two parts; a calm water introduction and an afternoon river trip.
From our base at Bujagali you will head together with a Kayak the Nile instructor to the lake. The flat water here provides the ideal environment for us to teach you the fundamentals of kayaking. You will be introduced to the key concepts – learning how to control your boat and where it goes, how to get out of your boat if you need to and the basic strokes and techniques.
Comfortable with the morning, the afternoon is the main event. Taking a short drive from our store out through the villages, we rejoin the river at the first free-flowing section of the Nile. Using the skills that you learnt in the morning you, with your guide leading the way, will tackle your first rapid.
The section of whitewater on the Nile that we choose for your first day of kayaking has a few huge benefits:
1. The variety – The number of features on this part of the river means that there is a huge range of skills that we can work on. From running rapids to eddy lines and surfing there is so much that we can do. We even continue to use this section on our multi day courses to further build up your skills.
2. Safety – Part of the difficulty of learning to kayak is being able to do so in a safe environment, this is where the Nile excels. Combining the deep rapids, no rocks to hit, warm water, our safety equipment and knowledgeable guides all mean that the day is entirely directed towards your positive experience.
3. Genuine achievement – We have been told that what sets us apart from other ‘experiences’ is you end the day with a feeling of genuine achievement. You will see huge improvement in your skills from when you first get in a boat, most likely being unable to make it go in a straight line, to the end of the day having run some whitewater in greater control of your craft.
4. It’s beautiful – In case the other benefits weren’t enough, we believe that this section of the river really is beautiful. Lush jungle islands, the variety of bird life you would expect so close to the equator and the opportunity to observe life by the river are just a few of the reasons that make this river trip so good.
Throughout the day we aim not just to show you the technical skills of how to get downriver, but to also introduce you to the sport that means so much to us.
Whether you want to go as hard as possible, learning and achieving all that you can, or simply want to take the time to enjoy the river in the company and safety of those who are passionate about it – we only run in low ratio groups, meaning that we can tailor the day to you and your needs.
We believe that we are different and pride ourselves on providing more than a holiday experience. The river Nile and the kayaking it provides is what drew us to Jinja, and sharing the sport that we love in this idyllic place is our pleasure.
We aim for a day with Kayak the Nile to be both an unforgettable experience and one that sparks an interest in you enjoying rivers worldwide.
Full Day Introduction to Whitewater
- Learn to kayak on the Nile
- Our most popular activity
- For those looking to make the best use of their time and for more than a ‘tourist holiday activity’
- Low group to Kayak the Nile guide ratio – to maximise your learning
- Impeccable safety record
- No experience necessary, we teach you what you need to know
- Full day guided instruction from a Kayak the Nile coach
- Lunch provided
- Cold drinks at the end of an exhausting day
- Transport to and from the river
- Free access to the NRE Kampala – Jinja shuttle bus
- $125 per person ($150 one to one)
Tick kayaking off of your bucket list at the source of the world’s greatest river. Join us on a full day introduction to whitewater and experience the river for yourself.
“What a surprisingly difficult but worth it sport for someone with aquaphobia!
Ticked it off my bucket list!! Jamie was a wonderful guide for the day – he had so much patience with me throughout the whole day… When in Jinja it’s definitely worth doing the Intro to Kayaking day tour (for beginners and aquaphobics).”
89MarydT, via TripAdvisor
“It’s the instructors and friendliness of the staff that make it. The instruction is literally world-class (like in the boss’s other job he coaches the GB National Freestyle team) and the people are all just lovely. Whether you live here or are on holiday and you want some adventure for a day or more you should look up KTN. I couldn’t recommend them more.”
dpksmith, via TripAdvisor
“I spent a fantastic weekend here at the end of a military tour in the DRC. From start to finish it was well organised, friendly, lively, crammed with professional experience and totally flexible. I cannot recommend it highly enough.”
Griffbach, via TripAdvisor