Water levels are consistent all year round here, because the Nile is dammed just after it leaves Lake Victoria. In an agreement between the countries that the Nile flows through, there’s a minimum flow that must be released from Lake Victoria to feed the Nile into Egypt. This minimum flow makes for great kayaking, and if the dam does release more water for a few days then there’s still awesome kayaking. There’s daily fluctuations as the demand for power, and therefore the amount released, changes from night to day but there’s always something to run and surf here. Usually we’ll experience lower water in the mornings and higher water in the afternoons.
It seems in recent years the rainy seasons have become less predictable but in general rainy season is twice a year, once in April – May and the again in October – December. That said the sun still shines during the rainy season, and the rain still falls during the dry! Rainy season doesn’t really affect the river, but it can make it slightly more challenging to get to it, with the road becoming quite muddy. One thing is for sure here; it’s always warm!
See all questions
- Which type of kayaking is best for me?
- What do I need to bring with me?
- What should I wear?
- Will I get stuck in my kayak?
- Do I need to book in advance?
- I have a dietary requirement can you cater for me?
- Can I bring a camera?
- Are there any crocodiles or hippos?
- Can I wear my glasses while kayaking?
- Do you sell nose-clips?
- I want to buy a kayak, can you help me?
- Am I expected to tip my guide?
- Can I come work for Kayak the Nile?
- How safe is Uganda?
- Can I get a Ugandan tourist visa on the border?
- How much is a Ugandan tourist visa?
- Power, electricity, and charging?
- What plug does Uganda use?
- Internet in Uganda
- Do I need a Yellow fever card?
- Can I drink the tap water?
- What language is spoken in Uganda?
- Is coronavirus in Uganda?
- Will I get malaria?
- Do I need a yellow fever vaccination?
- What vaccinations do I need for Uganda?
- Will I get bilharzia/schistosomiasis?
- What is the status of Ebola in Uganda?
- Are there ATMs in Jinja?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Do you accept credit card?
- What date us dollar can I use in Uganda?
- Where can I get Ugandan shillings?
- How does the free Kampala – Jinja bus work?
- Can I get to you via public transport?
- How do I get from Entebbe airport to the river?
Can’t find what your looking for? Ask us a quick question
or visit our contact us page if you are ready to book.