Answer: Ugandan shillings are a controlled currency and only available in East Africa.
You will not be able to get Ugandan shillings from outside this zone, a better choice is to bring:
- US dollars (notes $50 or larger dated 2009 and above)
- British pound sterling (GBP)
- EUROs (€)
These currencies are widely exchanged and accepted.
Alternatively, there are plenty of ATMs, at arrival in Entebbe and in all major towns.
Please note that for US dollars ‘small bills’, $1, $5, $10 & $20, get a much poorer exchange rate than their larger counterparts. Typically a few hundred shillings less per dollar.
See all questions
- Which type of kayaking is best for me?
- What do I need to bring with me?
- What should I wear?
- Will I get stuck in my kayak?
- Do I need to book in advance?
- I have a dietary requirement can you cater for me?
- Can I bring a camera?
- Are there any crocodiles or hippos?
- Can I wear my glasses while kayaking?
- Do you sell nose-clips?
- I want to buy a kayak, can you help me?
- Am I expected to tip my guide?
- Can I come work for Kayak the Nile?
- How safe is Uganda?
- Can I get a Ugandan tourist visa on the border?
- How much is a Ugandan tourist visa?
- Power, electricity, and charging?
- What plug does Uganda use?
- Internet in Uganda
- Do I need a Yellow fever card?
- Can I drink the tap water?
- What language is spoken in Uganda?
- Is coronavirus in Uganda?
- Will I get malaria?
- Do I need a yellow fever vaccination?
- What vaccinations do I need for Uganda?
- Will I get bilharzia/schistosomiasis?
- What is the status of Ebola in Uganda?
- Are there ATMs in Jinja?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- Do you accept credit card?
- What date us dollar can I use in Uganda?
- Where can I get Ugandan shillings?
- How does the free Kampala – Jinja bus work?
- Can I get to you via public transport?
- How do I get from Entebbe airport to the river?
Can’t find what your looking for? Ask us a quick question
or visit our contact us page if you are ready to book.